- What's On
- Plan Your Visit
- Eat, Drink & Shop
- Learn & Participate
- Curve Young Company
- Curve Community Company
- Artist Development
- Workshops and Classes
- Family Days
- DMU Pride
- Fashioning a City
- Venue Hire
- Support Us
- About Us
- Account Login
Our Act companies are led by a range of Curve artists who are professional theatre directors and practising actors.
This strand is for young people who want to develop their skills by learning about the fundamental principles of acting to ensure their talent is able to grow. This will include developing character, voice technique, working from text, writing for performance, directing and devised theatre practices.
Who can join CYC Act 16+?
Our CYC Act 16+ group is for young people aged 16 – 19 years at start of school year. The group meets on Monday evenings, 6pm – 9pm, during school term times.
Who will be leading the CYC Act 16+ sessions?
Our CYC Act 16+ Director for 2019/20 is Andy Reeves, Curve’s Head of Learning.
What will I get from joining CYC Act 16+?
- The chance to work alongside other like-minded young artists to a professional standard.
- Development of physical theatre, ensemble theatre, textual analysis and other core skills.
- An insight into other theatre styles such as verbatim theatre, mask work and method.
- The chance to be part of a strong ensemble cast rehearsing a public production for performances in our Studio in March 2020.
- An opportunity to work with Curve’s Technical, Stage Management and Wardrobe staff on productions, giving experience of backstage professional theatre practices.
- Further performance opportunities in the summer term as part of the annual CYC Showcase in the Studio.
- Free places at guest workshops at Curve from the Central School of Speech and Drama, including audition techniques and support on drama school applications.
- Workshops from guest practitioners.
- A free Curve 16-26 Membership, with benefits including ticket deals and discounts around the city.
When are the auditions for CYC Act 16+?
Our auditions for CYC Act 16+ will take place on Mon 2 Sep from 6pm.
There is no need to prepare a piece of have done anything similar before, as our group workshop audition will focus on the skills of the participants including teamwork, focus, attitude and the ability to accept challenges, as well as creative ability.
How do I apply?
To apply for CYC Act 16+, please complete the online application form by clicking the purple ‘Apply Now’ button below.