- What's On
- Plan Your Visit
- Eat, Drink & Shop
- Learn & Participate
- Curve Young Company
- Curve Community Company
- Artist Development
- Workshops and Classes
- Family Days
- DMU Pride
- Fashioning a City
- Venue Hire
- Support Us
- About Us
- Account Login
Our Act companies are led by a range of Curve artists who are professional theatre directors and practising actors.
This strand is for young people who want to develop their skills by learning about the fundamental principles of acting to ensure their talent is able to grow. This will include developing character, voice technique, working from text, writing for performance, directing and devised theatre practices.
Who can join CYC Act 16+?
Our CYC Act 16+ group is for young people aged 16 – 19 years at start of school year. The group meets on Monday evenings, 6pm – 9pm, during school term times.
Who will be leading the CYC Act 16+ sessions?
Our CYC Act 16+ Director for 2019/20 is Andy Reeves, Curve’s Head of Learning.
What will I get from joining CYC Act 16+?
- The chance to work alongside other like-minded young artists to a professional standard.
- Development of physical theatre, ensemble theatre, textual analysis and other core skills.
- An insight into other theatre styles such as verbatim theatre, mask work and method.
- The chance to be part of a strong ensemble cast rehearsing a public production for performances in our Studio in March 2020.
- An opportunity to work with Curve’s Technical, Stage Management and Wardrobe staff on productions, giving experience of backstage professional theatre practices.
- Further performance opportunities in the summer term as part of the annual CYC Showcase in the Studio.
- Free places at guest workshops at Curve from the Central School of Speech and Drama, including audition techniques and support on drama school applications.
- Workshops from guest practitioners.
- A free Curve 16-26 Membership, with benefits including ticket deals and discounts around the city.
When are the auditions for CYC Act 16+?
Following Government guidance around the COVID-19 pandemic, Curve is currently closed for performances and other activities until Saturday 31st October 2020. As such our application window for 2020/21 has been put on hold.
As soon as we are in position to re-open the building, we will begin to make plans around opening applications and holding auditions. All of this information will be available on our website and advertised on our social media channels, so please do continue to check these regularly for further updates.