- What's On
- Plan Your Visit
- Eat, Drink & Shop
- Get Involved
- Curve Events
- Join & Support Us
- About Us
- Account Login
To celebrate the life of local playwright Joe Orton, we are inviting the people of Leicester to respond to our production of What the Butler Saw. On Sat 11 Mar, we will share the responses in a morning of scenes, spoken word, poetry, song, stand up- and any other creative medium that express our reaction to Orton’s highly acclaimed play.
The project will offer participants the chance to create their own short performance piece responding to the story and themes of What the Butler Saw. All performers will be supported and mentored by Julia Thomas, Curve’s Resident Director, and will have access to the What the Butler Saw rehearsals and play text to inspire their work.
This project is suitable for performers, writers, directors and anyone interested in responding to Orton’s work, aged 16+.
In addition to the response piece, we also want this event to be a platform to celebrate local talent, and the performance will incorporate individual acts where we put your talent (juggling/singing/magic/dancing/poetry/absolutely anything!) on stage at Curve performing on the set of the production.
To apply to perform or to create a response piece please email [email protected] by 5pm on Mon 20 Feb and tell us a little bit about yourself and the work that you are interested in making.
• Wed 22 Feb, Wed 1 Mar and Wed 8 Mar – Rehearsal space available from 6pm – 9pm
• Opportunity to observe What the Butler Saw rehearsals
• Fri 3 Mar, 7.30pm: Group trip to see What the Butler Saw
• Sat 11 Mar, 10.30am: On the Set sharing for an invited audience of friends and family – we will provide the tea and cake!
There will also be opportunities for you to:
• Observe additional rehearsals, including technical rehearsals
• Meet the team behind the production